The Loss of a Friend
A family friend who had battled breast cancer passed on Sunday, April 30, 2006.
I got the call on the Wednesday or Thursday before that she was to go into the Hospice unit at the hospital. On Friday I got the call that the doctors didn't think she would make it through the day. My mom went to the hospital and told her daughter that I was willing to come home that night if she wanted me to do so. She did. I quickly packed up and headed home (NC) on Friday. I was able to go see her at the hospital on Saturday for a while. But, she was not responsive. I rode with the daughter to go pick up her husband Saturday evening in Fayetteville, NC. He was Red Crossed back from Iraq. We didn't get back into Raleigh until about 1:30 am. As my mom and I were preparing to go to church, we got the call that our friend had passed about 9:25 am. The memorial service was Tuesday evening. She is no longer suffering. And, while her suffering is over, ours is just beginning. It has been a time to contemplate life.
The week spent in NC was also filled with some laughter and fun. We spent a great deal of time with the family and talked about the fun times we had had over the years. It was great to see my friend's husband and we had some interesting conversations about what is going on in Iraq and the surrounding areas. I took the two grandsons (6 and 7 years old) to the park for a while on Sunday. They asked me every day after if we could go back. It just didn't work out based on the schedules. A group of us had dinner together on Monday night, played Rummikub, and shared lots of laughter. Lots of memories were shared over the week.
It has been a time of reflection regarding our own lives and a time for me to remember my dad. My dad and this friend were diagnosed with their individual cancers about the same time. This family was with us when my dad passed. And, her remains will be buried in the same plot near my dad. It is neat that we could do that. The two families have been through a lot together. It only seems fitting that we should rest in peace together too.
This time together has affirmed for me that family is so important. Even going to the park with the boys restored my faith in families. Perhaps some of that faith has been lost in working with juvenile delinquents and "seeing" dysfunctional families. But, at the park I realized there were lots of families there with their children. I don't mean one parent. Moms and dads were both there playing with their children. It was great to see!! And, brought hope back to my mind and heart.
I got the call on the Wednesday or Thursday before that she was to go into the Hospice unit at the hospital. On Friday I got the call that the doctors didn't think she would make it through the day. My mom went to the hospital and told her daughter that I was willing to come home that night if she wanted me to do so. She did. I quickly packed up and headed home (NC) on Friday. I was able to go see her at the hospital on Saturday for a while. But, she was not responsive. I rode with the daughter to go pick up her husband Saturday evening in Fayetteville, NC. He was Red Crossed back from Iraq. We didn't get back into Raleigh until about 1:30 am. As my mom and I were preparing to go to church, we got the call that our friend had passed about 9:25 am. The memorial service was Tuesday evening. She is no longer suffering. And, while her suffering is over, ours is just beginning. It has been a time to contemplate life.
The week spent in NC was also filled with some laughter and fun. We spent a great deal of time with the family and talked about the fun times we had had over the years. It was great to see my friend's husband and we had some interesting conversations about what is going on in Iraq and the surrounding areas. I took the two grandsons (6 and 7 years old) to the park for a while on Sunday. They asked me every day after if we could go back. It just didn't work out based on the schedules. A group of us had dinner together on Monday night, played Rummikub, and shared lots of laughter. Lots of memories were shared over the week.
It has been a time of reflection regarding our own lives and a time for me to remember my dad. My dad and this friend were diagnosed with their individual cancers about the same time. This family was with us when my dad passed. And, her remains will be buried in the same plot near my dad. It is neat that we could do that. The two families have been through a lot together. It only seems fitting that we should rest in peace together too.
This time together has affirmed for me that family is so important. Even going to the park with the boys restored my faith in families. Perhaps some of that faith has been lost in working with juvenile delinquents and "seeing" dysfunctional families. But, at the park I realized there were lots of families there with their children. I don't mean one parent. Moms and dads were both there playing with their children. It was great to see!! And, brought hope back to my mind and heart.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home